1 Lb chicken breast or Tenders cut into ½ inch cubes
2-4 tbsp flour
2-4 tbsp Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic Peeled
1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
8 oz button Mushrooms sliced
½ cup Golden Sherry
½ cup Chicken Broth or Stock
¼ cup Heavy Cream
¼ cup Starchy Pasta Water
1-2 tsp butter
1-4 tbls Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Green Onions Chopped
¾ LB Pasta(I like Fusili or Penne) cooked al dente
- Heat olive oil in skillet until shimmering
- Season Chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. Dust lightly with flour
- Working in batches, sear chicken chunks in olive oil until golden brown on all sides. They do not need to be cooked all the way through yet. Set aside.
- Sautee Whole Garlic Toes in the same pan till golden brown. Set Aside.
- Sautee onion in the same skillet until golden brown adding more oil if necessary. Set aside
- Sautee Mushrooms in the same skillet until browned. Add sherry to the skillet to deglaze pan. Reduce by half.
- Dice Roasted Garlic from step 4 and add to Mushrooms.
- Add onions, chicken chunks, Starchy Water, and chicken stock back to the pan. Reduce by half.
- Add Cream and Butter. Reduce until you have a thick sauce that will cling to the back of a spoon.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Toss in Pasta and stir. Allow sauce to simmer and re-warm pasta.
- Add Cheese and Green Onions. Plate immediately
* Secret Trick of the pros: Cook your pasta in advance of preparing your dish. Instead of pouring your pasta through a colander and washing your precious starchy water down the drain, use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the pasta to a sieve. Keep your starchy water in a zip top bag in the freezer. Break a chunk off as needed. This will add richness and creaminess to your sauces. Never wash your pasta after it is cooked. Always toss with olive oil.